Rss Feed

Snow Day

What could be better than the amazing gift of snow!

We have had the best winter...in my world that is... I know that many - ok most people are sick to death of all the white stuff. But, me...NEVER! I could have it snow each and every day and not get tired of it. I don't even need it to actually be a snow day... what I really want is a blanket of white that wraps us in November and lifts in March...

But, Iowa has changed from the weather of my youth. (Grief that sounds nostalgic!)

Anyway, I remember digging tunnels in snow banks behind the our old farm house. Long cool tunnel where my brother and I would make shelves, and compartments. We would play from the time we got home on the bus until after the milking was done and it was time for supper. I remember the cold seeping into my boots and the crisp crunch of the snow beneath my feet. Sitting in the igloo tunnel and hearing the quiet bliss of absolutely nothing.

My girls don't have those kind of memories. They hardly know what a snow bank is. And certainly don't know what it's like to play and play outside until you can't feel your toes, but really don't want to stop. Growing up in town with not a hill in site - there aren't snowdrifts and chores to be done. They don't even have to shovel the driveway... that is my job or my husbands. What will they remember from Iowa winters???

That is what happens when I have time to sit and remember. That's what snow days are for. I see them as a moment of pause in the midst of the busy life of a teacher. Anything you get done on this day is a gift - because you didn't expect to have the time off. So - if you get absolutely nothing done...oh well! :)

So - snow days are my favorite - I don't really care how late we go to school in June. Instead we get the luxury of memories and moments.

So -as I sit at my table watching old movies and looking out at my snow encrusted screens on the screen porch. I know that this is what makes me love winter and Iowa and SNOW DAYS!!

0 comments: